Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

9-16-92

Today is a very special day. Some of you may not know why. I mean, it's just another day right? Not to me. For seven years, this day has meant more to me than other days. Here's why.

On this day (September 16th) eighteen years ago, a boy was born in Texas. He was just like any other child. His mother and father named him Nicholas. He had two older brothers to look after him, and a family that loved him. His father was a preacher and musician, so Nicholas was raised in good faith and music. By the time he was two, Nicholas was standing on a table outside his apartment and singing his heart out. Maybe he was born to be a performer. Music was just part of him.

In 2000, Nicholas was on Broadway. He was performing in show after show and he loved it. In 2003 he was in "Les Miserables" as Gavroche, and he said he would be back one day to play Marius. He started a singing career and formed a very successful band with his brothers. It seemed that everything was perfect, but it wasn't. Nicholas started to get very sick. He was losing weight, drinking way to much water, and he was really irritable. His parents took him to the doctor to find out what was wrong with him.

Nick Jonas was diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes in November of 2005. He was 13 years old. He was scared; he wondered if he would die. He was kept in the hospital for a few days to make sure he was okay and so he could learn how to manage his blood sugar. The day he got out of the hospital, he played a show. That night he decided he wasn't going to let this disease slow him down.

Since being diagnosed, Nick has had multiple platinum albums and tours with his brothers, a solo project resulting in an album and his own tour, several movies, a T.V. show, and was Marius in the 2010 production of "Les Miserables" in London. He started a charity with his brothers and teamed up with Bayer to help kids. He hasn't let diabetes slow him down, and more importantly, he's encouraged kids all over the world to live their dreams. He has inspired more people than he knows. Earlier this month, Nick met a girl with Cerebral Palsy who underwent physical therapy to learn to walk. Her motivation for walking was simply to hug Nick. She wanted to be able to walk up to her hero.

I love this day because 18 years ago, a hero was born. An extremely talented, sweet boy who has changed millions of lives. I'm proud to call myself a fan of his. I'm proud to say I've been to 3 Jonas Brothers concerts and 1 Nick Jonas and the Administration show. I'm not gonna lie, I probably have 100 posters of him from those teen magazines, and a really old poster from "It's About Time" over my piano along with a very recent poster from Camp Rock 2. When things get frustrating or difficult, I think about everything Nick has overcome, and I push on.

What I really want to say is, Happy birthday Nick. You are truly amazing, and I'm so proud of you. Keep changing lives and making music. I love you.

-MMN

No comments:

Post a Comment